Thursday, October 23, 2008

Babyhood


So the newest member of our team is integrating into this big new world, and contributing dirty diapers and a dislike of naps. But her daddy can't help but love her. Riley's new clothes have been a topic of interest on April's part, and I can't help but wonder whether she is having fun dressing Riley in different outfits the way she might've had fun dressing dolls as a child, if she had had any dolls. As April takes care of Riley I'm continually in Awe of the strength deep inside of her, and the love she has for this little one. She's a mom. This is her child. And I have a front row seat to learn what this whole dynamic relationship is all about.

As a new father, I think I'm learning a little more as I go, where as it seems like April has been doing this all her life. Riley is so funny. Our friends ask us what sports she's going to be good at, knowing full well that athletics will probably be a common influence in her upbringing. Part of me is hoping she'll be a little speedster at church when she's four or five, running through the halls laughing, with one plume of a pony tail sticking straight up on the top of her head. I may regret it as it happens, but I pray she has the energy to exhaust everyone around her.
The Un-containable Riley Jean Freed. I haven't told her mother this, but I don't think April will be very suprised. I think we know what we are, and we want to pass on our gifts. Mommy was a Tomboy, and Daddy was a Dreamer. Hopefully Riley will get all our good stuff and none of our bad. I bet that's what all parents want. And now, that includes us. Weird. We're parents.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pumpkin outfit! And let's hope mom and dad don't loose their energy because Riley will surely have plenty!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are enjoying your new addition to Team Freed. So glad you are all enjoying one another.
I'm very excited to see more beautiful pictures of Riley Jean.
Best wishes as you continue your journey with Riley!
Abigail Boring